Monday, October 6, 2008

Flu Season Awaits

For most, flu season and its accompanying sneezes and sniffles becomes only a minor inconvenience. Since learning this week that my immune function is even worse than we originally knew, I thought it appropriate to write about flu season from my point of view. I wonder what my odds of living through this winter will be since I have no functioning T-Cells left to defend me?

All too often, people push and prod themselves along to continue their daily activities at work or in the community, even when they are quite ill. Before you decide to leave the house next time with a temperature and sore throat, please pause to think of those of us who cannot fight off such illnesses when exposed. A simple trip to the grocery store with you pushing the cart, you suddenly cough, cover your mouth with your hand and now the grocery cart handle is contaminated. I follow you into the store and take your cart. You get the picture!

If you elect to get a flu shot, please ask for the injection and not the nasal flu mist. The injection is a dead virus while the flu mist is a live virus. If you recently took the flu mist and stood by me in line at the bank, I would most likely contract the flu from you.

If you are sick and must be out in public, please consider wearing a mask. There is much good information on masks at this CDC link: http://www.cdc.gov/features/masksrespirators/

Most importantly, more than ever, I must ask that if you have even an inkling that you might be coming down with a "bug" or if you have been around someone who has been ill, please do not come around me. It is difficult to tell family and friends to stay away, but I have no option.

I am not the only cancer patient or immunocompromised patient who fights these battles. Be considerate of those around you during this flu season. Afterall, by you staying home and recuperating not only will I benefit, but you will benefit as well!

No comments: