Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Baby Boot Camp

Every Saturday morning Grandpa Walt found himself babysitting his three grandchildren...all boys. The kids always wanted to play ''war,'' and Grandpa somehow always got coaxed into the game. His daughter came to pick up the kids early one Saturday and witnessed Grandpa take a fake shot as Jason pointed a toy gun and yelled, "Bang!'' Grandpa slumped to the floor and stayed there motionless. The daughter rushed over to see if he was all right. Grandpa opened one eye and whispered, ''Sh-h-h, I always do this. It's the only chance I get to rest.''

One day a police car pulled up to grandma's house and grandpa got out. The officer explained that this elderly gentlemen said he was lost in the park. ''Why, Bill,'' said Grandma, ''You've been going there for over 30 years! How could you get lost?'' Leaning close to Grandma so the police officer couldn't hear, he whispered, ''Wasn't exactly lost. I was just too tired to walk home.''

I thought these jokes featuring tired grandparents might be an appropriate way to begin this post. I have officially completed my first full day as Little Man's Nanny. It reminded me a bit like boot camp (although I was never in the military). So, perhaps, I should state that I "believe" it could have been a bit like boot camp.

The trumpets (aka my alarm clock) sounded before the crack of dawn. This is the hour I am normally entering my deep, restorative sleep. Not this morning.....my drill sergeant (aka Little Man) was awaiting my arrival. I traveled the 20 minute drive to pick up the sergeant. I arrived promptly at 0800 hours (that would be military time).

We traveled back to our base (aka home) and the day's routine began. For a little man, this seargeant is prompt and timely. He sticks to protocols like a Four Star General. Cry. Change Diaper. Drink milk (it does a body good). Change Diaper. Sleep. Repeat. Cry. Change Diaper. Drink milk. Change diaper. Sleep. Repeat. He kept this soldier marching all day!

Needless to say, the first day at bootcamp was full of readjustments. Little Man had some battles with homesickness, which he overcame like any good soldier does. He marched home and the first day's service was complete.

The alarm is set. I will sleep soundly as I await the trumpet's blast in the morning to report for duty once again!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Awwww, such fun!! I wish I lived close enough to my kids to take care of theirs once they decide to have some...but alas, I'm 1000 miles away.

Cherish the time with Little Man.