Monday, February 23, 2009

Urgent Prayer Request: February 23, 2009

Family and Friends,

Thank you for your prayers. I have been gone for 12 hours and had a very difficult day. I ask for continued prayers.I left home at 7: 25 AM and returned home at 7:20 PM.

I met with the dentist at 8 AM due to the tooth/gum pain that developed yesterday. After two different types of x-rays, we began to discover the pain culprit. My teeth were wonderful - no abscesses or cavities. HOWEVER, we discovered something we did not anticipate.

The dentist showed me the x-rays and she said that the floor of my sinus cavity was pressing on the roots of the teeth that were hurting. She speculated that infection or inflammation could be the cause. This pain is on the side where mold grew out on culture.

She sent me to my family doctor. Being the wonderful doctor she is and her concern about protecting me from the flu, she came and sat in my car. We held x-rays up to the bright winter sun to review. My blood was drawn, etc. That might be a new concept - drive through doctoring! She called the ENT who performs the sinus punctures on me, and he wanted x-rays.

I went to a diagnostic imagining center (to avoid the germy hospital) and had sinus x-rays. I had a wonderful tech, who wiped down all the x-ray equipment, etc. with disinfectant and kept me out of public waiting rooms.

I then went onto the ENT's office. I received a report that I did not anticipate. The bones of my sinuses have thinned enough that a tooth root is growing up through it. It is possible that all of the steroids I have taken for the leukemia are causing bone thinning. Thus, the repeat sinus infections are probably due, in part, to this pathway for pathogens. The ENT said for people not in my condition, bone grafts and other surgeries could be considered but I am not a candidate. He called and spoke to my family physician and since my temp was elevated again, they concurred to perform another one of the sinus punctures.

I have shared the agony and descriptions of this horrific procedure in the past. I nearly passed out today. It took 4 punctures to get the device through the bone. I cannot explain the pain and shock that I went through. I 12+ difficult years of leukemia, this rated as the second worst day. In between attempts, I was bleeding alot due to my platelets, so he would have to suction out the blood, repeat, suction, repeat. You get the painful picture. The irrigation part did drain out a very large mass of infection. The doctor said it had a foul smell and he has never told me that. So, he sent me onto the oncologists' infusion center to be desensitized to Augmentin, to take until this new set of cultures reveal what we have discovered. That went without any reactions. I am home in bed.

I need to see God turn this situation around ASAP. Tomorrow I am going for a CT of the sinuses and they decided since it has been 19 months since my last abdominal CT, that we will just check everything out. Another desensitization will be possible, later this week, once the new culture reports are in our possession. If possible, they will perform a bone density scan to see if other bones are thinning from the steroids.

I made the mistake of taking myself today and what is scary I don't even remember the drive after the puncture procedure to the oncologists' office. Be thankful you weren't sharing the roads with me. :-) ..... or maybe you were in that red car I ran off the road. (Just Kidding!)

Will keep you posted. I know and believe He is able to do the impossible. I am asking for God to grow bone for me where it is needed. He can do more than we can ask or imagine.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You WILL be in my prayers today! I am sure you get sick of hearing this but I am so sorry that you have to go though all of this. It breaks my heart to think that you have to deal with this during a season of life that you should be playing with grandbabies and not worring about all of this. You are a strong and amazing women. You give me HOPE and COURAGE every time I read your updates. I know as in any struggle there may be days you don't feel strong, but you are amazing to me! I know that God is with you and I see your faith and trust in him grow every time I read your emails/blogs!

You ended this email with the my favorite scripture and it has carried me through my stuggle. God can do more than we have ever asked for or can imagine and that is what I am going to pray and believe with you that it will happen. I have seen so many "little" miracles along my journey and I am sure you have too. They always seem to take me back to that verse in Ephesians. So if you need bones that is exactly what I am going to pray for but more than that I will continue to pray for your healing and that everyday you are comforted by God and you find some special way to enjoy your family and your life. Your testimony has been an inspiration to me and I know that people have come to know God because of your obedience!


You are the best!
Jenny HIll

Anonymous said...

Yes HE can!!!

Love Ya!

Mary Greer

Anonymous said...

I am praying and I have our Bible study group praying for you. You are definitely in my thoughts.

Donna

Anonymous said...

We are standing with you in prayer. Press on, good & faithful servant.

Bethany

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had to go through all this. Sometimes I get so frustrated with God for letting you be sick and makng you suffer like this. I wonder why he would put such a good person through such horrible stuff. But then I look at lil man and I think back to that day you came home (in your jean dress) from the doctor and told us that he didn't predict you'd live to see me graduate. But you're still here graduations weddings baby later ... You're still here. WHY you have to go through this I still don't understand but I just keep believing that God has given you 12years so he can give you that many more, time and time again. He knows how much lil man and I need you. He won't let you go anywhere anytime soon. I pray that everyday and when lil man is big enough to pray, he will do the same.

And I probably don't tell you enough but thank you for going through all you do. I know that u could give up and say "no more" ... But you've never done that. U keep fighting and going thru pain and suffer and I know you do it for us and noone else. Ur the toughest cookie I know and that makes me proud! :)

--Kristin