Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Battle is the Lord's

Shortly after my diagnosis with leukemia in 1997, I awoke one night with the Biblical account of David and Goliath swarming in my mind. The weeks since diagnosis had not been easy for my family or me. Yet in the still and quiet of the night, the Holy Spirit had revealed and reminded me of the power, protection, and strength He had given to little David in the midst of his daunting assignment.

To think that God would send, equip, protect, and make David a victor in the midst of a seemingly impossible situation gave me great comfort and encouragement. In spite of everything, God is unchanging and is able to prepare and protect each believer. The Holy Spirit was revealing to me that leukemia would not be a daunting assignment for God. Just as He had intervened in David’s battle of epic proportions, He would do exactly the same thing for me in the battle Stacie v. Leukemia.

I scrawled on a piece of paper next to the bed:

The battle is the Lord’s. ………

The next morning when we awoke, I told my husband, “I am David!” Now, I must admit that his sleepy mind and eyes didn’t quite register what I was saying and at 6 AM, he must have thought the stress of the illness was afflicting my mind. After all, when he had last seen me at bedtime, I had been Stacie!

The next week I pondered and reviewed that 1 Samuel, Chapter 17 account of David’s God-anointed battle with Goliath. We’ve all heard the terms “David and Goliath” -- even from people who don’t know the slightest Biblical detail. The story encourages every underdog walking the face of the earth. When encountering life’s giant trials and tribulations, all of us should pray for the faith, courage, and fortitude of the young shepherd boy David. After all, he conquered a giant of a man with a polished stone, shot to the forehead of the giant with a slingshot. The weaponry was not important. The size of the giant he faced was not invincible.

The enemy always makes our foes appear to be larger than life so that we will become discouraged. Life’s challenges and battles attempt to defy the Word of God. Whether the giant of life is cancer, poverty, addiction, or other foes, the Holy Spirit dwelling within us is far greater. And just as Saul and all of Israel became “greatly afraid” when the Giant Goliath jeered and taunted them, fear often creeps into the believer’s heart and spirit.

The age, size, status or experience of the young David did not matter since he was filled with faith and fortitude, traits that only our Heavenly Father is willing and able to impart into our lives. David didn’t have a muscular body that the men possessed. He lacked the instruments of physical warfare that the Philistines and Goliath flaunted. After all, he was “only” a shepherd boy. Yet, God looked down and saw a heart chasing after Him. He honored the faith and availability of David.

David’s obedience to his natural father and to His heavenly Father is obvious. God always honors us when we honor our parents. He was willing to follow his father’s request to deliver food to his brothers and to check on their welfare.

David’s ears heard the bragging and boasting of the Philistines and Goliath. His senses were absorbing the challenges about him. He could hear them boasting of their bravery. He could see their weapons of warfare and giant size. None of that mattered to David as he questioned, “For who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?” His natural senses were overridden by his spiritual senses. And almost instantly, the jealousy of his oldest brother was ignited. The other brothers followed suit.

Such it is in this world. When we take a stand against the giants of this world, often times it is perceived as arrogance. What the world does not understand is that the Holy Spirit within us is where our boldness, bravery and courage emerge. Nothing within my human spirit can equip me with enough guts and audacity to fight leukemia. I have to return, over and over, to seek Him in prayer and to search His Living Word. Then, I become equipped for the battle at hand.

Imagine the ire and indignation of his brothers and fellow soldiers when David posed the declaration, “Let no man’s heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine.” David recited the narrative of the life events that prepared him for this very moment – he had battled lions and bears and saved His lambs, as any good shepherd would do. I reflect on the life battles that preceded leukemia. Perhaps they were not as menacing or threatening as leukemia, yet each step I was taking with my Father, was preparing me for this battle. Just as David knew without doubt that the Lord would deliver him from the hands of Goliath, so we must trust and believe without doubt, that the Lord will deliver us.

The fellow warriors then assembled the physical armor for this tiny warrior. It wasn’t a good fit for him and he struggled to walk. That is precisely what happens when we try to go to battle and fight it with someone else’s weapons of warfare. That just doesn’t work. I am convinced that David knew that this battle was beyond his capabilities; however, he was prepared to clothe himself with the Armor of God. Such is how our life battles must be fought – with God’s weapons and battle plan. No weapons of this world or ones borrowed from other men will ever give us the victory. Our weapons for warfare must be orchestrated by the Holy Spirit in order to guarantee the triumph.

Imagine how foolish David must have looked when he dropped the men’s armors and weapons and picked up his staff, five smooth stones and his sling. I know that often, I have been ridiculed, mocked and scorned when I have chosen peculiar weapons to use against this giant called leukemia. Alternative treatments from around the globe, acupuncture, limited doses of chemotherapy – this is not how men of this world fight cancer. Yet, I have fought this battle with the weapons my Father has provided. His Holy Spirit dwells within me, my army commander, directing and guiding each decision. His Word empowers and encourages me to fight this enemy. Prayer is my hotline to the Commander whom I most trust.

And just as Goliath the Giant looked in disdain at the youth David, so has the giant leukemia snickered at my belief and trust in things of the spiritual realm versus the physical world to spare my life over and over.

Goliath made two big errors. He cried out to his gods (little g-gods, ones with no power or capability to save) and he underestimated his opponent. There is one true God who will hear our cries and petitions. Crying out to the workers of evil will only cause one to get a busy signal every single time. They don’t care and they don’t answer. Unlike Goliath, I never underestimate my enemy, leukemia. I know it is a significant enemy. However, no enemy of mine is bigger than my God. He, alone, gives us victory over our enemies and puts our adversaries to shame.

David’s words were faith-filled and confident as he approached his foe. He spoke his intentions to defeat Goliath, no matter how foolish the words sounded to those around him. His narrative was not wavering with doubt nor punctuated with fear. His purpose for the battle was also narrated. He didn’t plan to defeat the Giant to earn awards for valor or the respect of mortal men. He knew that by defeating his enemy, he would show the world the power and might of his God.

Just as God took David’s simple weapons of warfare – five small stones from the brook – and anointed them for victory over the giant, so God does the same for His children. The battle and the foe may appear terrifying, yet God is able to do “exceedingly, abundantly more than we ask or imagine”.

And, just as David won the victory and killed Goliath, so life victories are within our reach when we seek God and His empowerment. Nothing is impossible for those who believe. In a world filled with battles – between nations, within families, among religions, and the vital battle between God and satan for the hearts and minds of men, women, and children there remains a strong steady hand. The hand of my Father equips and guides each of us through life battles. To Him belong both strength and victory. He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments: