Friday, October 22, 2010

An Update & Request for Prayer: October 22, 2010

I have had some remarkable improvements since adding the oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, goldenseal, garlic, and elderberry to my integrative protocol. The fevers have remained low this week and my cough is minimal. The oil of oregano is not pleasant to take orally. After additional research, I have decided to continue taking it orally and not by inhaling it.

Most impressive, I just returned from the doctor and we checked my T-Cells last week after I had been drinking the human milk for one month exactly. Amazing results again - my CD4 count was 201 before I began my second milk experiment (200 is the level used by HIV patients to determine when their diagnosis is changed to AIDS, so you can tell how much damage the leukemia and chemotherapy have done to my T-Cells. This is also the level at which PCP prophylaxis is often initiated and I was dreading that with the problems I have with drug reactions). In one month's time of drinking human milk from a milk bank, my CD4 count increased to 337 (normal range 370-1540)! My CD3 T-Cell count went from 314 to 441 (normal range is 710-2300)and my CD8 T-Cell count went from 62 to 109 (normal range is 183-1160).We are hopeful that this data will be enough evidence to convince the insurance to finally approve payment for the milk.

Also interesting, since beginning my new protocol of herbs and garlic, I have not required Neupogen injections! My ANC (Absolute Neutrophil Count that fights infection) was over 5000 this week - unheard of for me since my ANC always hovers around 1000 or less.


We decided to hold until worsening of symptoms or perhaps while undergoing radiation to begin the intensive drug rotation protocol that I mentioned in my last post. However, I will begin the monthly sinus endoscopes, monthly chest and sinus x-rays and monthly sputum sampling to be vigilent in recognizing infections and pathogens early when I have an improved chance of beating them back.

I was supposed to receive my first vaccine (Prevnar) on Monday but the insurance had not yet approved, so that has been postponed until this coming Monday. I did have my blood drawn to repeat my flow cytometry and cytogenetics to confirm there has not been any transformation of the CLL and I will learn those results on Monday.

I will meet with the radiation oncologist next week to discuss the feasibility of splenic irradiation. I know that I will be faced with another insurnace hassle on my hands and many details will need to be ironed out and arranged for this to happen. I anticipate requiring radiation fractions (sessions) on M-W-F for 4-8 weeks. If we can arrange for everything to fall into place by the first of November and I tolerate the entire 8 weeks, I will finish on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, by the infections postponing the radiation from this summer, when I had hoped to have it done, this will mean sharing my birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas with radiation as my companion. When the sadness in my heart from this consideration builds, I remind myself that in March of this year, I was told that I probably only have a year to live. If the experts with whom I have consulted believe this is my best attempt at knocking back the leukemia with the least impact on my damaged immune system, I feel I need to listen and be proactive.

As you would expect from me, I am investigating alternative treatments and supplements that are proven to improve the effectiveness of radiation therapy and that will diminish side effects. The side effects most often seen with radiation to any are of the abdomen will be nausea and fatigue. I need supernatural protection of my marrow and blood counts so that they will not be harmed by the radiation. Also, my doctor told me this week that the spleen being so enlarged from the leukemia has caused it to misplace most of my abdominal organs (kidney, stomach, intestine, liver). I am praying that if I do the radiation, that God will provide the proper angle for the beams so that my organs, especially my left kidney (which is right behind my spleen) will be supernaturally shielded.

One day this week when I had prayed alot about this radiation decision, I began reading my Bible. So often, God reveals Himself to me regarding certain requests or situations, through His Word. I was encouraged and comforted by these verses.

From Proverbs 16:

v. 1 "To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the reply of the tongue."

v. 3 "Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed."

v. 9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

I am asking, trusting and believing that my Father will hear my plans as I commit them to Him. What radiation is incapable to accomplish for me, with God's involvement, the results will succeed. I am asking Him to determine each step of this process - its timing, implementation, dosing, positioning, and the people He would have to care for me and to plan and perform the radiation treatments. Most importantly, I want this decision completely settled in my spirit before I speak the final words to proceed.

No comments: