Sunday, October 24, 2010

Four More Years

On Friday, the 22nd of October, I officially completed my second full year of service as Lil Man’s Nanny. The day came and went without much ado; however, I was grateful to God for sustaining me for my important position.

Two years ago, this tiny squeaking and squalling baby boy was put into my car and we drove home for his first full day at Grammy’s home. I recall that nerve-wracking drive as though it was yesterday. I prayed a lot and we began our daily journey from his Mommy’s office to our home. During those two years, I have discussed the scenery along the way. We have talked about different billboards, animals we see, and farm equipment. Airplanes flying overhead were noted and we have counted about anything we have seen. After all, his Mommy and two aunties all were taught by me and they are intellectuals, so Lil Man will be a baby genius, too since he has Mommy and Grammy teaching him!

Two years have passed with our daily commute and now my backseat passenger doesn’t just jibber and babble, we converse! What a change – a remarkable, miraculous change! Almost everyday, he comes to my car door, gives me a hug then pops the button to open the trunk! I am no longer foolishly honking at horses and waving at airplanes by myself. Lil Man joins in and usually knows what our next mile ahead will reveal. He instantly notices when favorite billboards (such as Smoky the Bear) are replaced with political advertisements and is promptly peeved.

The harvest has made Lil Man’s drive through our rural highways even more worthy of conversation. He speculates if the combines will be in the field, the barn or just sitting outside. If the grain cart is in the field, he will tell you all about it. (His Dad is a farmer, can you tell?) When he notices fields that have not been picked yet late in the season, he exclaims, “Pick that corn.”

Four more years and this Lil Man will be ready for kindergarten. My nanny service contract will expire, if the Lord graciously blessed me with the forty-eight months I need to complete this tour of duty. I rejoice over these two years – hectic and tiring as they are for me – they have brought joy and sunshine and laughter into a heart and body that is often hurting.

No comments: