Monday, October 11, 2010

Special Deliveries

One night last week, after an especially challenging day, I crawled into bed. I glanced down at the floor, seeing something on the floor, illuminated by a dim light. I reached down and there were two pink cards with a Scripture on each of them. I have no earthly idea from where these cards originated. So, being the curious woman that I am, I turned on the bedside lamp and read the verses. I had this sense that these words were going to be important for me to absorb.

Card One:
“And we are confident that He hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases Him. And since we know He hears us when we make our requests, we also know that He will us what we ask for.” I John 5: 15-15 (NLT)

Card Two:
"I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.”
Matthew 17:20 (NLT)

I believe the Holy Spirit – my Comforter and Companion – is always with me (Mark 28). I believe that the Holy Spirit is near to us and even prompts us as to what words we are to utter (Luke 12). In John 14, we are told that the Father sent the Helper, the Holy Spirit, to believers to teach us and “to bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you”. I do not believe in luck or chance. And when I saw these unidentified cards with verses imprinted on them, I knew deep within my spirit, that this was one way that my Father was “speaking” to me and was bringing these timely Scriptures to my remembrance. He realized that in the midst of the human suffering I had been enduring, that life emits from His Words and truly on that night, my spirit was uplifted and reignited by His Words.

I slept soundly that night and when I awoke, I read my morning electronic devotion on my phone. This was the verse for the next morning:

"For verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you" (Matthew 17:20) NKJV.

The very same verse from one of the cards was awaiting my opening in my e-mail inbox. Same verse, different version of the Bible. Same message, different method of delivery. Same Father, nothing different about that! When a passage of Scripture is shot to my spirit from several angles – friends, through Bible study, through praise music, or through prayer, I pay attention. Everything medical science has to offer me has no outcome worth embracing. Yet, what my Father promises me is eternal life, peace on this journey, and hope for tomorrow – but I need to keep the faith and not allow circumstances to rob or water down my faith.

I believe that God is trying to firmly implant some aspect of His Word deeply into my soul. You know, we humans can be stubborn and a bit contrary at times and God knows that He must persevere in delivering these timely messages. Romans 8:25 tells us, “But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance”. Job’s perseverance in the midst of deep human suffering inspires me. The Gospel writings remind me to look up to Him, in faith, and not to wallow in self-pity, doubt and suffering. I am “eagerly waiting” to see where my next life steps will take me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your encouragement. I too came across this verse on faith and the mustard seed this morning...once already.

Kathy b