Friday, October 29, 2010

Journey Toward Radiation

I continue on my road to radiation. Today, I had my CT for the initial planning for splenic irradiation - I am sporting some new tattoos on my stomach (never thought I would have a tattoo) but these are necessary to position me in the exact position for the radiation each time.

They formed a structure (block) that will stabilize my body during the irradiation. That was fascinating - initially this material looked and felt like a bean bag- the radiation techs pushed and pulled and molded this bean bag around me - then they suctioned the air out of the bag and it became as hard as concrete. Pretty nifty! Next Friday, I will return for my final session of planning and a simulation session. Tentatively, November 8th is my "go" date" if insurance approves.

Here is today's funny story that I should not tell on myself. I was returning home from the radiation appointment today. I was going to pick up one of our sons-in-law on my way. I turned off a main street and normally go through two intersections and then turn north to reach their home. I was extremely tired and a bit unnerved still from the prospect of radiation and I only drove through one intersection and turned right.

Not long after turning, a man in a truck slowed down and he was shouting out his window at me and waving his arms. I dismissed him as a possible lunatic and kept driving. Then a car passed and kept honking and honking at me. They didn't look like family or friends trying to gain my attention, so I kept driving. Suddenly, I looked up and I was going the wrong way on a one way street. I had driven six blocks going the wrong direction! It was just the icing on the cake for the day. I laughed and laughed outloud and probably looked like a lunatic myself. Thank God I didn't kill someone or myself. God even protects us when we are ignorant - always good to know!

No comments: