Monday, December 28, 2009

"Twas the Night Before Christmas Revisited

.....Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house

How many times have I read and recited this classic to my children? Too many times to enumerate. Although the classic represents the secular Santa side of Christmas, the words enthrall children and adults alike.

......Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse

This year my husband purchased the Hallmark version of Twas the Night Before Christmas. New to the time honored classic was the recordable features of the story book. The purchaser of the Hallmark book is able to read and record themselves as they recite the story. In theory, we thought it would be a wonderful, timeless gift for our Grandson if I recorded myself reading the book to him.

......The stockings were hung by the chimney with care

Little did I know what a challenge to my spirit recording this book would pose. Each week of December I added "Record Book" to my Outlook reminders. And each week would pass and I would glance at the book and tear up, pondering if this reading of Twas the Night Before Christmas would be my final reading of it for my grandson. After all, May 2009 delivered the label, "end stage leukemia" to me and I knew, apart from God's intervention, Christmas 2009 could very well be my final Christmas.

........In hopes that Saint Nicholas soon would be there

After ignoring the Outlook reminders too many times, December 24th arrived and the book sat on the counter, unread, unrecorded and unwrapped. At the urging of my husband, I sat down near midnight and opened the book before me. For a second, I choked up and had one of my moments of doubt when I wondered if another Christmas would be blessed upon me.

....The children were nestled all snug in their beds

I mustered the strength and fortitude that I could in and of myself, then I cried out to God to enable me to complete this recording and to be able to present this priceless gift to my grandson. The tears dried up, my voice stopped quivering and with the love and excitement that I read this story to my own children through the years, I read it, once again for Lil Man. I thank God for giving me the ability to read the story - on this past Christmas Eve and hopefully, for many, many more Christmas Eves in my future will I be able to read this classic, in person, to Lil Man.

No comments: