Monday, November 3, 2008

Reflections from the Chemo Room

Today, I received my first treatment in the new infusion center. As I have mentioned, for nearly ten years, I have sat in the exact same chair to receive all of my treatments. I have laughed and cried; hurt and healed; cared and celebrated all from the comfort of that blue recliner. It was difficult today to take a new step on this journey into a new location.

Two different conversation areas with infusion chairs and pumps were in the new center. As I sat with 5 other ill people, we began conversing. I always marvel at God's goodness. Out of this group, 4 of the 5 were Christians. Although most of us were very ill -- I have leukemia, one patient had ovarian cancer; one lady had throat cancer, and another had just received a liver transplant. Yet, we had an uplifiting, encouraging conversation this morning. We shared with each other what the Lord had done for us. One lady knew of a Chinese missionary and told us of her adventures. Another lady was home schooling her granddaughter and I was able to encourage her (since I home schooled our three daughters).

I marveled at the beauty in that room. Although all of our bodies were broken, we were trusting that the Lord would strengthen and sustain us. We had a Christian nurse caring for us. God is so good in the way he orchestrated today's events. He knew, more than anyone, how I was struggling with this new transition and how sad I was to have not been able to watch Lil Man. Since I was the first to arrive in this seating area, God placed these people around me - a Heavenly security blanket -- to wrap me in encouragement and love for today.

Even more amazing was to watch the transformation of the one woman in the group who was not a believer. She was very angry when she arrived. Since the nurse hadn't brought her back for her treatment precisely at 8:30, she got up and left the building. The nurses had to go reclaim her. She had cancer in her throat and was unable to talk without a mechanical device she had to press and then speak in a rough, difficult to understand voice. From her clothes and conversation, she appeared very poor and hurting. Anger filled most of her early morning conversation. She would swear at the nurses. However, as she sat and absorbed our conversations about Scripture, missionaries, Bible studies, etc., her demeanor softened. As the room emptied, she spent most of the late afternoon talking to me. I tried to encourage her and she laughed and lightened. I know she had a divine appointment today -- not only an appointment to receive her chemotherapy, but also to soak in the love and the Word of her Heavenly Creator, Whom we discussed and praised. To God be the glory .....

No comments: