Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Perfect Gift

For me, I am ahead of schedule. I still have a week left until Christmas and all of our shopping is finished. I've walked malls and searched for the perfect gifts for my children and grandchild. I've Googled and searched the Internet for other perfect gifts. Fed Ex and UPS have delivered right on time!

Yet, today I began thinking if I could only give one gift to my children and grandchild, what would it be? What would be the one gift that would be everlasting? What gift would fit each of them, despite the differences in size? What gift would be life changing and purpose giving?

The most precious and priceless gift I could ever give my children and grandson is the Word of God. It will never change. It will never go out of style. It is as valuable today as it was thousands of years ago when men were divinely inspired to write these Words. His Word can heal their bodies, save their souls, direct them to a plan for eternal life, spare them from hell's fires, encourage them when they are discouraged, guide them in making vital life decisions, and tell them about the Heaven where I will one day live.

His Word is priceless yet available free of charge with the advent of online Bible resources. His Word is powerful yet gentle and meek. His Word has saved my soul, healed my body, conquered discouragement, been my companion with loneliness has threatened, and reassured me when everything else in my life fell apart.

His Word has a lifetime "warranty" -- it will never change or fail you. His Word offers a great "reward" program. His Word, when imprinted upon our hearts, can never be stolen, broken, or lost.

His Word is truly the Perfect Gift. Today, I wrap it up and send it to my children, grandchild, and all those lost and seeking a Savior and eternal life. And I will seal it with this tag:

TO: My beloved children
FROM: God

"And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. "
Jeremiah 29:13

No comments: