Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Memories from My Childhood

My paternal grandparents were pioneers in the area of exterior illumination at Christmastime. I would estimate that by the late 1960’s, their large front yard was notorious for their Christmas lights and displays. I know their efforts were striking as I have vivid recollections of these decorations and all of my grandparents’ efforts that were dedicated to this project. My grandfather died when I was only about 9 years old and I have retained these vivid memories for nearly 36 years.

My Grandma’s brother would dress up as Santa and greet children who came to enjoy the display. Brown paper bags filled with hard Christmas candies and oranges were given to the visiting children. Newspapers and television stations featured our front yards. Decades later, people still ask if we live where the enormous Christmas display could be found.

The white buckets of jeweled tone bulbs remain fresh in my mind’s eye. Grandpa would purchase his C9 bulbs after Christmas, when deep discounts lured him into stores. I would help him to sort the bulbs into white, 5-gallon buckets. A bucket was assigned to each color. To this day, I don’t ever recall seeing so many Christmas light bulbs in one place. We would take these buckets around the yard on cold, snowy, wintry nights and replace burned out bulbs. I remember the cold weather he battled and the dedication that he had for his beautiful Christmas display.

I recall the paint and the sawdust in my grandparents’ basement that evolved into a virtual Santa’s workshop each fall. Their decorations were ahead of their time and the abundance of plastic Santa’s and Snowmen that decorate yards of today. Grandpa would saw out of plywood various displays and Grandma would pain them and all their intricate details. I am amazed as I write these words, how many details I can recall of these creations.

A life-sized nativity graced the south end of our yards. The large stable was filled with straw and a bright star rose above the stable. Baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the wise men and the stable animals were all present.

A choir girl played the organ, moving back and forth with one of Grandpa’s motorized inventions. Four choir boys cut from Grandpa’s saw and painted with Grandma’s paintbrush stood beside the organ girl. Record players were wired with Christmas music to the front yard. I marvel at the technical aspects of their display, in an era before the electronic gadgetry that we all use and understand.

Four elves held the letters N-O-E-L. And a North Pole display featured a motorized Santa Claus, who had a hammer in his hand that rotated, “building” toys for the good girls and boys. Elves with their own workbenches surrounded Santa.

I always loved the years that Grandpa would switch to all blue lights. While the jewel-toned brilliant bulbs were festive and bright, even as a child, I treasured the soft glow of the blue bulbs on the newly fallen snow. And even as a child, I knew Grandpa’s display of Jesus’ folded, praying hands with a banner that read, PEACE ON EARTH, was special and sacred.

I would give anything to find Grandpa and Grandma’s patterns or the actual decorations. I know most were sold after Grandpa died. And they have probably rotted away. Nevertheless, I am absolutely amazed at the vivid details I can recall of the beautiful displays. The decorations may have deteriorated; however, they live on in my heart and memories.

1 comment:

justme said...

What wonderful memories, Stacie! From the way you describe your grandparent's displays, I can pretty much picture them in my mind's eye. I see where you get your penchant for putting up a tree in every room of your own home. :)