Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to my family and friends.

It is an amazing miracle for me to share another Christmas with my loved ones. I recall the Christmas of 1997 when I doubted that I would live to experience another Christmas with my husband, daughters, and other loved ones. I recall the deep, abiding sadness that saturated my heart as we took photographs by our Christmas tree and I wondered (doubted) I would be alive for another photograph.

However, the Lord had different plans for me. And now, over 12 years since I was diagnosed with leukemia, I am still alive. Those very young girls are now mature, educated, beautiful young women. I have been blessed with sons-in-law and a grandson added to our family of five. My husband and I have now shared 27 Christmases together. Last night we hung the same knit stockings that we had used on our very first Christmas.

More than a decade of Christmas photos around the tree have been taken. Years of celebrating Christ's birthday as a family in church on Christmas Eve have been granted to our family. Memories and moments with my family have been one of the most precious and priceless gifts I have ever been granted.

1 comment:

Gary & Tammy said...

I just came across your blog and your writing has uplifted my spirit. I am faced with a similar feeling you had back in 1997 about next year's Christmas and if I will be around to see it. I see through your writing that God is again telling me he has more for me to do. I just wanted to let you know that God is working through you in me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Gary