Monday, December 1, 2008

In The Right Place, At the Right Time

Nothing happens by chance. I know that God ordains the life events of His children. I've learned as I walk with the Lord not to become anxious or upset if plans do not work out or are changed. I know that He knows far better than me as to what I should be doing.

Today, I wandered around the oncologist's infusion center, still trying to find "my" ideal treatment chair (since the move from the old infusion center). I pondered and debated if I would rather sit near a window (it was snowing outside, so I determined that a window was a high priority). Thus, after some deliberation, I claimed my space and unpacked.

Soon after, another cancer patient arrived. Initially, he sat quite some distance from me but then decided he wanted a seat where the television was more visible. So, he decided upon taking the chair next to mine. I always try to share what God has done for me during my cancer battle with other patients. I've taken books on healing for other patients and offered prayers for many. My mind wandered, trying to determine what my calling for today was going to be.

The man spoke and told me he had just been diagnosed with leukemia. My spirit leaped as I knew precisely why I was in the specific chair I had chosen. And to be more specific, he was diagnosed with the exact type of leukemia I had.

Instantly I knew that virtual stranger in a way most of us don't know strangers. I knew the fear and apprehension he was feeling. Only being diagnosed two weeks earlier, I related to his confusion about treatment options, available drugs, side effects, life expectancy, and whether he was going to lose his hair or not. The same confusions and fears that I had possessed years earlier.

He then popped the question. "How long have you lived with this leukemia?" he asked me.

Then I replied, "With the Lord's help, I have lived for 12 years."

Words cannot detail the expression of hope that filled his face. He smiled and asked me, "Did you say that you have lived 12 years with this leukemia?"He told his daughter when she arrived about his new found hope. He picked up his cell phone and called several family members and friends. He told them about how long I had lived and that he was going for 12 years and 1 day!

Today, I was definitely in the right place, at the right time.

No comments: