Monday, November 22, 2010

Urgent Prayer Request & Birthday Reflections: November 22, 2010

I ask for your prayers tonight. I have not been able to receive my radiation since last Wednesday due to my blood counts being in a downward spiral. For the first time in my life, I actually have a LOW White Blood Count (WBC). I began this foray into radiation with a WBC of nearly 50,000 (normal WBC is 5000-10,000) and today my WBC is 3500. More concerning to me, my hemoglobin and platelets are dropping daily and blood transfusions are looming. I desperately need my bone marrow to kick into action and begin producing blood cells. It is my prayer that the radiation has not permanently damaged my marrow.

Over the weekend, I developed a cough, low-grade fever and a runny nose. Hopefully, this will not require IV antibiotics. The nausea from the radiation has lessened since I have not received it for several days. With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I really do not want to end up in the hospital on a holiday weekend (based on past experiences, the care at hospitals is very poor on holidays when a majority of the best of doctors and nurses have the holidays off).

This weekend I celebrated my birthday. And I don't write "celebrate" without many emotions attached to the word. Unlike most women in this world, I am delighted to grow older - it is better than the alternative of NOT growing old. My family held a birthday celebration for me last night. Lil Man helped Grammy blow out the towering inferno of candles. It is a  challenge to comprehend that I was a young mother of three when I was diagnosed with leukemia at age 32 and here I am almost 50 years old, with grown children and a grandson. God certainly has blessed me with many more years of life than was originally predicted for me.

I received a Kindle for my birthday, so I have been busy downloading new books and mastering the Kindle. I also received many other great gifts and cards. Now I don't have to carry my book collection with me to the doctors' offices since I am usually reading 3 to 4 books plus my Bible at any given time. My Kindle will hold 3500 books, so I should never be without a book to fill my solitary moments waiting at doctors' offices!

Thank you for agreeing in prayer with us over these important requests.

No comments: