Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Radiation Day Two

ZAP! NUKE! This afternoon, I received my second dose of splenic irradiation. Earlier in the day I spoke with my long-time NIH physician (Dr. M). I believe he is pleased how this treatment has been managed and is optimistic with me that I might benefit from the radiation. We discussed the value of this treatment being written up as a case study for the medical journals. There is limited, current data on this type of leukemia being treated with splenic irradiation. I told my radiation oncologist today what Dr. M had stated and he replied, "What else needs written up for the journals is how you have grabbed this bull by the horns, educated yourself, plotted your own treatment courses and survived for over 14 years!"

I believe this will be the most difficult of all of the treatments I have received to determine if and when and how it has benefited me. Today, after one fraction (session) of radiation, my total WBC (White Blood Count) dropped from 44,600 (normal WBC is 5000-10,000) to 29,000. That is a substantial decline. Hemoglobin declined (not such a good sign) by a point and my platelets increased (good sign). It is far too early to evaluate if I am improving. When I calculated the absolute numbers of lymphocytes (most of my B lynmphocytes are cancerous white blood cells; T lymphocytes are white cells I always need to increase), the ALC (Absolute Lymphocyte Count) declined from 43,262 to 27,342. Hopefully, these 15,000+ cells were all cancerous lymphocytes!

It will be a delicate balance of eradicating leukemia without damaging my limited marrow function. I must totally trust God with such intricate details! Tonight, I am a bit nauseated. The radiation oncologist told me today that the spleen is a large field to radiate, so he anticipates nausea for me. The left kidney is in the radiation field, so I know that it is being irradiated, as well. Please pray that my kidney function will be protected.

After radiation, I saw my family physician and had my electro-acupuncture. I will share my laugh of the day. You might recall the "Radiation Princess" post from Sunday that described my costume with fluorescent green highlights, lipstick and nail polish. After three days of nail polish remover and every other cleaner known to mankind, my nails remain stained from the green polish - they actually have a bluish tinge. My nurse came into the room and when she looked down, she shockingly said, "Doctor, come here and see Stacie's nail beds - they are blue!" She was truly concerned something was wrong and I began laughing and told her it was no lack of oxygen causing the  blue tinge, but the residue from my Harvest Party cosmetics!

I will try to post on Friday after my third day of radiation. Watch for this impressive medical outcome coming to a medical journal near you! Thank you for your prayers.

No comments: