Monday, November 15, 2010

Day Four Radiation: Cancelled

I went to radiation today and my blood counts were too low to receive today's treatment. Day Four Radiation: Cancelled! My radiation oncologist called me back and I knew it was not good news because I usually see him after the radiation. He said he had already planned to cut the dose by half today to 25 cGy (based on Friday's counts), but with the counts declining still, we discussed my options and decided to cancel today's treatment.

To me, we need to know if marrow failure has been induced - if these counts continue to decline without radiation, I am going to be quite concerned and will request a bone marrow biopsy (one must be desperate for information to request this painful procedure). Although the counts are low, I know that I can survive with them at these levels -  I don't intend to keep forging ahead with radiation and risk marrow failure where my counts will no longer support human life. I won't be surprised if radiation is delayed again on Wednesday.

The radiation oncologist was concerned about how I am feeling - the uric acid level was improved, so he said the nausea and fatigue don't appear to be tumor lysis driven, but he ordered a CMP on Wednesday to look at those counts. He told me that he will go to the ends of the earth to help me. He is a very kind doctor and I believe he is watching out for my well-being. He gave me a prescription for anti-nausea medicine, however, I plan to continue with my holistic approach to treating the ongoing nausea (Sea Bands, crystallized ginger, and ginger ale) unless the nausea worsens and demands stronger treatment.

1 comment:

Jeanie said...

Hello Stacie, I know that Bill has been keeping you posted on the children at the center, but I just wanted you to know so other things about them. Because of the love and direction that you gave to the children they are very much on the right path. DaShana, remember how she was always in trouble for fighting, she is now the President of the Youth Group. Bill heard some of the children singing at the center during Chapel Service. I had many of them going to church with me, and they had joined my church choir. They were not singing one day and I had them come up and lead the children in the singing. Bill asked me if I thought they would sing at some of the churchs and I said yes. He made the arrangements, and they enjoyed it to the point they wanted to form a Youth Group. They did and we met on a regular basis at my house after the center. They became very busy doing things together, and community service work. They go to the Light House Mission and help to serve meals, and to the Nursing Homes singing, and playing bingo and having church services with the residents. On Saturday, November 20th they will be going to Light House Mission to serve Chili which I am going to cook, and take over there. Chili and Hot Apple Cider for the residents. This may not seem like much to some, but to these children they are helping to make a difference in the lives of others, just as you made a difference in their lives. They love you and they miss you Stacie. I love you and I miss you, I want you to know that working with these children the way I do, is my way of keeping your dream alive. Know that I love you dearly, you are my inspiration. I continue to work with the Mother's as that is a program that you but in place for the mother's of these children. We don't have alot of mother just as we didn't then, but they are faithful.

Take care of yourself, and know that we love you dearly.