Friday, November 26, 2010

Post-Thanksgiving Update: November 26, 2010

This morning, I returned for radiation and again my counts did not allow for me to receive the radiation. My hemoglobin had dropped an entire point since Wednesday and I was neutropenic again. Thank God for Neupogen! I am so tired from the low hemoglobin - and we all know that tiredness is not permitted during the Christmas season!

On Monday, my radiation oncologist said he wants a CT of my abdomen to check on the spleen size and to see if the retroperitoneal lymphadenopathy(enlarged lymph nodes at the back of my abdomen) have decreased in size. If so, he will reduce the size of the radiation field and hopefully, my counts will recover more.

We have been plotting our future course. He is a wonderful doctor who is compassionate, who listens, and who is conservative with the radiation. IF I should manage a complete remission (it is possible), then we hope to convince the insurance to pay for "maintenance radiation" to maintain the remission (much like Rituxan maintenance). I would only receive a very small dose of radiation every 6 weeks to maintain a remission. Please keep praying for the radiation to eradicate the leukemia. It is a formidable foe, however my God is a very big God.

I haven't felt well the past couple of days. I was awake until 4:00 AM yesterday morning and this morning. The antibiotic changes this week have caused diarrhea (not a good thing with our Thanksgiving feast staring me in the face). Also, I am having blood from my sinuses, as I usually do with serious sinus infections. The cough and fevers continue. I anticipate a sinus scope on Monday, as well.

No comments: