Friday, November 5, 2010

Radiation Approved

After a half dozen or so e-mails from my insurance case manager, she finally called at 1 PM today to tell me that the reviewing physician had deemed me worthy of receiving the radiation! She is such a blessing to help me - even on her day off. Thanks, Melanie!

I spent about an hour today at the Radiation Center to finalize all of the plans. More permanent tattoos were applied. My abdomen looks like a treasure map with "X" truly marking the spot! The two radiation technologists worked and double checked all of my measurements of the field. They took additional x-rays for the physicist to use to finalize the dosing plans. They took photographs of the field and walked me through the entire process.

I decided I needed some photos of the equipment for the enquiring minds who want to see what I will be doing, beginning on Monday. This photo is of the radiation equipment - a linear accelerator. Since I will receive radiation from the front and back of my spleen, this machine can rotate all around this table. The table can lift and lower. I just lay there and try not to move. You can see at the one end of the (very firm) table, the support block that my head and neck are put in to get me in a stabilized position. This is what they made for me last week.


This second photograph is my viewpoint from the bed when the machine is not over me - I asked for a mountain view room! For the life of me, I don't comprehend why cancer patients have to look at fake scenery. Almost every cancer center I have gone to, has had some sort of these visual distractions. That is the only terminology I can think of that adequately describes it to me. When I am receiving chemotherapy or radiation, looking at a mountain view or gazing up through a canopy of autumn leaves does not make me imagine for one instant that I am strolling through the park or traversing the mountains. Maybe visualization like that works for some, but I am a black and white type personality and I see it for what it is - a looming piece of equipment about to zap my body with radiation - not a piece of equipment that is minimized by the mountain view. Enjoy the scenery!










No comments: