Tuesday, March 9, 2010

18 Months Old!

Eighteen months ago, a tiny, helpless grand baby would visit. He drank milk, produced diapers in need of changing, fussed a bit, and slept. That pretty much summarized his early days and weeks. When I began my services as his Nanny, he was six weeks old. Still the milk drinking, diaper dirtying, sleeping and a few more wakeful hours comprised our days together. Day by day, week by week, Lil Man began grabbing pieces of Grammy's heart. On his birth date, I never dreamed I could love him anymore than that moment when our eyes first locked, however, I was wrong. Very wrong.

Eighteen months of life as a Grammy have passed. My health permitting, I have cared for Lil Man five days a week while his parents work. The days and adventures with Lil Man could compose journals full of memories, milestones, and the deep love I have for him. Some days I write in his journal - love words that will remain for him to read long after I am gone. Other days, I post on my blog about him. When he is computer literate, he will be able to return to Grammy's blog, over and over, and be reintroduced to me each time, even if my physical life is no longer a part of his life. Most precious to me are the songs that my heart sings each time he kisses me, makes me chuckle, or cuddles in my arms.

New words and attempts at words surprise us daily. It is amazing to be able to communicate with words to Lil Man. He understands most commands and yesterday as I (mindlessly) sang the Veggie Tale song, "Oh, Where is My Hairbrush?", he ran to my vanity and returned with my two hairbrushes for me! He knew where Grammy's hairbrushes were. Bob (The Tomato) of Veggie Tales is a new favorite and Lil Man plants himself in his miniature leather club chair to watch his newly found friends!

I lay down at night, exhausted. My body is challenged from battling so many health problems yet God somehow, someway, grants me just enough strength for each day to continue my Nanny duties. These eighteen months have passed quickly and I pray that God will bless me with many more days and years to share with not only Lil Man but also the rest of my precious family.

Happy 18 Month Birthday, Lil Man!

1 comment:

justme said...

Love that song...ha! :) Happy 18 Months, Lil Man!