Thursday, January 7, 2010

An Update & Request for Prayer: January 7, 2010

A quick update - I had labs drawn early this morning (the drive to the doctor's office took 40 minutes versus 20 minutes due to the wind and snow). Several concerns emerged .....

-I am severely neutropenic (again). I am awaiting the arrival of the B3 that my doctor ordered for me to try to see if the chronic neutropenia can be reversed or improved. Neupogen injection again tonight. We don't like this indicator of a failing bone marrow. Please pray for this to reverse and for the insurance company to be generous and not stop payment on these frequent injections (cost is over $400 per injection).

-My lymphocyte percentage is back to 96 percent which is the highest it has been since my half-dose Rituxan in June-Sept 2009. My informed readers know that lymphocytes are what are cancerous in my case. Unless a major new drug breakthrough occurs, there are probably no further treatment that I can survive.

-My iron levels are almost non-existent in the blood. My last bone marrow biopsy showed that the iron stores there are absent. This is contributing to my low hemoglobin, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Insurance is refusing to cover the drug the doctors want me to take to assist with this.

-My thyroid levels indicate a substantial worsening of hypothyroidism. I need to do some research, I am not certain what would cause this worsening of this condition.

-Liver enzymes were elevated. I am suspicious that this is related to all of the medication I am taking. Leukemia can infiltrate the liver and I have a spot on CT that doctors have been monitoring on my liver but it has remained stable.

We are awaiting the NIH review of my MRI's on my spine and hips - I am still battling this bone pain.

Thank you for your continued prayers. We are under a winter storm warning due to high winds, frigid temperatures and blowing and drifting snow - please pray for safe travel as our daughters all have substantial commutes to their places of employment.

No comments: