Tuesday, January 5, 2010

364 Other Days of Christmas

The celebrations and chaos of the Christmas holiday have passed. Gifts, parties, cards, carols, trees, decorations, and tidings of comfort and joy have come and gone. Jesus has fought and attempted to squirm His way into each celebration - disappointed that His day is now referred to as a Holi-day and not Christ-mas. He must weep as government officials vote to remove the nativity scenes and Christmas trees from city halls and other public buildings. Greeting cards declare HAPPY HOLIDAYS or SEASON'S GREETINGS. The one and only day that Christmas is celebrated is being watered down and downplayed by a secular society, bent on being politically correct.

As a Christian, I had a revelation this past weekend. The company had left. The decorations were being packed and returned to their storage home for the next 11 months. The gifts were unwrapped and being utilized. The hubbub of Christmas, the holiday, had drawn to another finale. And in the midst of the final motions of celebrating Christmas were concluding, I sensed the Holy Spirit guiding my heart to a new revelation.

I am going to allow the world to impose December 25th on the calendar as "the" day we are to celebrate Christ's birth. And I am going to hope and pray for Christians to make a stand against judges and other God-less leaders who attempt to snatch Christ out of Christmas. Then I am going to begin my 364 day celebration of Christmas. Each day I am making a dedicated effort to thank God for sending his Son to this earth on that holiest of nights. It seems to me that such an event is worth celebrating every day, and not just on December 25th. I anticipate in my newly formatted plan to celebrate the birth of Christ each day is going to be life transforming for me. I want to study the details about His birth. I want to reflect and savor the emotions of young Mary as she carried and delivered the Christ Child. I long to have the quiet outside of December's hectiness, to focus on the true meaning of Christ and His arrival on earth. I yearn to celebrate His birth without the distractions that the December 25th celebration impose.

As I enter into my daily celebration of Christ's birth, I will give the gift of prayer to those I love. I have never been so impressed as to pray for the lives and souls of my loved ones in 2010. Instead of a push to address and drop Christmas cards in the mailbox for a December delivery, I am going to attempt to encourage others with sending weekly cards to those who are hurting or lonely. I have just begun to orchestrate all that I will do during my year long Christmas celebration. I do know that the simple decision to purposefully focus on Christ's birth and all that Jesus represents to each of us, will be life-altering for any of us who take time to be in His presence.

Would you like to join me on my 364 day Christmas Celebration?

Isaiah 9:6:
For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

No comments: