Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sixteen Months of Amazement

Sixteen months ago my eyes locked with two of the brownest little eyes I have ever seen. Lil Man was born and so was a Grammy - all on that special day. I can vividly recall all the "firsts" we have shared with him - his first diaper, first photo, first bath, first car ride, and first day he stayed with me. Sixteen months of amazement have come and gone. A little life is growing faster than we ever imagined (or hoped).

No one ever told me what a delight being a Grandmother would be. My grandmother-friends would share stories and photos, however, I never dreamed what a special day it would be when I joined that elite club (Grandmas Rule).

Lil Man's last month has been filled with many special events - visiting Santa, going to church with Grammy on Christmas Eve, opening gifts on Christmas morning, his vacation to Nashville, making snowballs and baking cookies on a cold Sunday night, and one other amazing feat that I am about to announce!

It all began when Lil Man's Mommy placed a new Elmo Potty Chair in the bathroom. No one really anticipated that he would show much interest in the colorful chair in the corner. But preparations were in place should the urge to abandon ship on the diapers ever appear. Boy, did Lil Man ever surprise us. Within minutes, he was signaling to his Mommy, CEO of all things potty-related, that he knew what to do and how to do it! No training required for this Lil Man. I had three daughters and never saw any of them take off with potty training like this and I always had heard boys were more of a challenge to potty train.

Onward to our seventeenth month with the world's greatest little boy! Who can imagine what he might be doing for me to report next month? Reading? Driving the car? Mastering a second language? That is a wonderful aspect about being a Grammy - I can ramble and rant and rave about this little person and everyone just tolerates it and says, "Just go along with her comments, she must be a grandmother!"

No comments: