Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An Update for Today: April 14, 2009

To update ...

I became neutropenic again, so I had another Neupogen injection on Saturday.

A plan is evolving at the NIH (National Institutes of Health - outside of Washington, DC) for me. Dr. W. at the NIH is a wonderful doctor whom I met during my NIH trial participation 1999-2003. He is the doctor that my OSU doctor contacted at the NIH to discuss my possible participation in their Revlimid trial.

Thankfully, it appears that Dr. W. is looking for THE best treatment plan for me and he is not solely looking to place me in his Revlimid trial. I value him being so open-minded and forward thinking.

He wrote over the weekend and as soon as my husband and I read his e-mail, we both commented how well thought out it was and how it appeared Dr. W. is truly looking out for my best interests.

He suggested:

-I come to the NIH and participate in all of the screening for the Revlimid trial (lab work, CT Scan, Bone Marrow Biopsy, PET Scan, Lymph Node Biopsy, Ultrasounds).
-I meet with the Revlimid trial investigators.
-I meet with Dr. M. (my beloved NIH doctor for many years) in the CLL Clinic at the NIH to discuss other CLL trials.
-I meet with a surgical team to discuss the pros and cons of surgically removing my spleen (Splenectomy).
-I meet with the transplant team to discuss transplant options.

It will be a challenging trip, especially given the loss of strength and stamina that I have had from battling these fungal and bacterial infections since January. The research nurse just contacted me and I may be traveling to the NIH in mid-May. I will keep you posted on trip details as they become available.

If you know me well, you know how much I detest flying. I do it, but I do not like it. So I need to be able to embrace flying (if God had meant for me to fly, He would have given me wings)!

I value your continued prayers as I seek God's perfect plan for me. If His plan is for me to do no further treatment, I want His strength and courage so that I will be able to embrace that option, knowing He has had the number of days ordained for me, since before I was born.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am reading your email update from today as I sit in the House of Prayer. God is with you. He is your strength & sheild. He is upholding you by His Right Hand, as He has for generations of His people.

I praise God for your life, Stacie. I thank Him for working in your heart, for rescuing you & calling you His own. I praise Him for planting seeds in others' lives through you & your love for Him. I thank you for practicing His Word & dying to self daily so that He can live in you. Let Christ rule in your mortal body. Continue to do so. He is faithful. He is just. He is merciful. He has defeated the Enemy by the work of the cross (John 12:31). Though we, like the disciples, cannot understand His plans as they are occuring (John 12:16ish...), His Glory will be revealed. Every knee will bow to Him. May He lead you to the treatment He has for you, & all the while, He is at work to shine His light through you to the people you encounter...the doctors, nurses, patients, anyone!

Love,
Bethany