Wednesday, April 1, 2009

God's Still Small Voice

I am not a materialistic person. If a tornado raged through our neighborhood, the only material possessions I would truly miss are my photographs and keepsakes from our daughters. Furniture and wardrobes can be replaced. However, the photographic memories stored in my photo boxes, frames, and memory cards are irreplaceable. They allow me to return to years and events gone by and relive precious events and occasions.

If you know me at all, you know that I do have a current obsession – I have taken nearly 2000 photographs of our grandson in six and a half months! We have photos for every holiday, no matter how insignificant. I have taken photos for events that are not considered holidays, but are events any Grammy would think are worth remembering. For example, first spoonful of cereal, first time sitting up,and his first ride in the stroller, just to name a few.

One night a couple of weeks ago when I was very sick, I looked in my handbag for my camera. (I carry it with me so that I never miss a photo opportunity with our grandson!) And to my dismay, my camera was not there. Flashbacks to the too-many-to-count photo shoots of Lil Man raced through my mind. Hardly any material loss would have been more devastating than that of my camera with all of my Lil Man photos from birth.

The search began. My husband searched through our vehicles, thinking the camera had slid out of my purse. My mind rewound through the past days’ activities – I had been at the hospital everyday, so the possibility existed that it had exited my purse there. We searched through my tote bags, drawers, cabinets, under the couch cushions, and about anywhere that you might suggest. Nothing. The camera and memory card were gone. I was devastated.

I crawled into bed with a heavy heart. I was exhausted as it was well after midnight. I prayed. I told the Lord how much those pictures meant to me and how they could never be replaced. I asked Him to help me find my camera. Almost instantly, I knew the Holy Spirit had spoken to my spirit these words, “Look under the bed.” My body rebelled and wanted to stay in bed. I was sick and tired and disobedient. I remained in bed and again, “Look under the bed” radiated through my spirit. I reasoned. I hesitated. I thought to myself, “Why in the world would my camera be under the bed?”

Then I realized that the Lord was answering my prayer. I jumped out of the bed and knelt beside it. Lifting up the bed skirt, I poked my head under the bed. Lo and behold, there was camera planted far under the bed. Never would we have found that camera.

The lost camera object lesson taught me several valuable lessons:

1. God is interested in the smallest details of our lives.
2. God hears and answers prayers. He wants us to ask.
3. When we are still and free from distractions, we can best hear the still, small voice of the Holy Spirit speaking to our spirits.
4. Sometimes when we least feel like obeying that still, small voice of God, the rewards are the greatest when we go ahead and act in obedience.
5. God sometimes uses the answers to very small prayer requests (a lost camera) to remind us that He is equally willing and able to hear and answer the larger prayer requests (salvation of loved ones, healing of broken bodies).

1 comment:

Deb Light said...

Oh my Stacie! So glad you found your camera with God's help!!

Good Luck in Byrdland!
Thoughts & Prayers,
Deb