Thursday, November 5, 2009

Coping: God's Way

I read some informative tips presented by a physician on a cancer website. In his opinion, these tips offer ways in which the cancer patient can cope and maintain sanity on the cancer journey. However, as I reviewed them, I realized that many of the tips were very helpful while others were contradictory to God's Word. The tips are in standard font and my reflections are written in bold, italicized font.

"Make a list of blessing in your life on an index card - what you have to be thankful for. Read it often."

This is not a bad tip at all. In the Bible, God commanded His children to erect memorial stones to be a reminder to them of the great things He had done. Joshua 4 instructed the Israelites: "And these stones shall be for a memorial to the children of Israel forever.” During many difficult times, I have had to mentally construct my own Memorial Stone - a list of everything God has done for me in my lifetime.

Cancer does not take everything from you, even if the future is unsure.

True enough - cancer has taken a great deal from me, yet I am certain it cannot rob me of everything - my faith, my hope, my eternal destination, and my peace are a few of the untouchables that I will not allow the enemy to take from me. The enemy comes to "steal, kill and destroy" (John 10:10), but God is so much bigger. And our futures can be secure IF we have accepted Christ as our Savior. John 3:15 states: "Whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life." It is settled, I believe in Him, have confessed my sins and my future is not unsure.

Your activities are as important as your thoughts.

I must disagree with this tip. Our thought life plays such an immense role in the cancer journey. Often times, in the midst of having negative reports spewed at me continually, I must return to those principles God asks us to meditate (think) upon. "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things. The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you." (Philippians 4:8-9).

Depression has a lot of trouble finding a moving target, it's outstanding at hitting a stationary one.

This statement is completely accurate. Being able to live life fully in the presence of a cancer diagnosis is a staggering challenge. Our flesh wants to fold and crumple to the floor and remain there. However, God, when asked, will give each of us the fortitude, courage, strength, and will to live life fully - engaged in social, cognitive, and physical activity. By His Words and the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, God has enabled me to remain a moving target - one that the enemy's fiery darts struggle to hit.

Crawling into an isolation hole is a huge risk. Try to avoid it.

Isolating ourselves makes us a prime target for the enemy to attack. He sees us isolated, without encouragement from others, and he sends his spirits of doubt, fear, negativity, and hopelessness. God is straight-forward to instruct us "do not forsake the assembling of ourselves together" (Hebrews 10:25). God is certain that our lives are enriched and enhanced when we have fellowship with family and friends. Stay out of that isolation hole!

Work on your bucket list.

The bucket list philosophy was made famous by the recent movie with the same title. I made a bucket list but achieving its goals proved to just add stress to my life. My Bucket List was just lofty thinking and dreaming, rather than being content with life as I have it today. Contentment ranks high in God's eyes. Philippians reminds us of these vital teachings of the Apostle Paul: "Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content."

No comments: