Sunday, November 22, 2009

Another Birthday - God's Gift to Me

Last week, I celebrated another birthday. For most middle-aged women (on the downward slide toward age 50), another birthday is not always cause for celebration. However, as my November birthday rolls around each year, I am returned to the moment in which a 32 year old younger woman was told she had 3-5 years to live with leukemia. This year, I reflected on my May 2009 doctors' report that informed us that I am "end stage leukemia". Upon these reflections, another birthday becomes a treasure worth far more than silver or gold.

Among many life lessons, leukemia has taught me how to treasure moments, days, weeks, months and years. No matter if the time is fraught with difficulties, life challenges, disappointments, heartache, and pain, it is precious time alive here on earth to share with those I love. I reflect on Moses' death, the account which can be read in Deuteronomy 34: "Moses was one hundred and twenty years old when he died. His eyes were not dim nor his natural vigor diminished." That would mean another 74 years for me! And I would truly appreciate some of the natural vigor being restored!

I had a laugh with my hair stylist the other day. We were talking about aging and wrinkling and grey hair. I told her in my 30's, I figured no doctor was counting on me living until 40, so I paid absolutely no attention to face creams or care of my skin - I never thought wrinkles would be anything I would have to address. Wellll...... since I have continued on my life journey, wrinkles are appearing since the creams were ignored. And on my birthday, grey hairs were uncovered by the watchful eye of my youngest daughter (thank you, dear) who proceeded to pluck out the couple she found and then she placed them on my black shirt to verify their grey-ness.

It is true - I am aging with leukemia. I am grateful for the sustaining of my life that only can be attributed to my Heavenly Father. I am thankful for the numerous times, He has breathed new life into my struggling body. Thank You, Lord, for the gift of life.

No comments: