Saturday, August 14, 2010

An Update & Request for Prayer: August 14, 2010

I continue to run fevers and have been neutropenic this past week. I have received three Neupogen injections and they have given my neutrophils a boost. It always concerning to run fevers in the presence of neutropenia. Please pray specifically today for God to tend to any infection that might be undiscovered.

The cough continues and we are still awaiting the fungal culture results from my bronchoscopy on June 24th. Can you believe that?

My spleen continues to grow and grow and grow. It causes a great deal of discomfort and sleeping is nearly impossible.

I continue to research and ponder if/what treatment I should consider. I was leaning toward the metronomic chemotherapy (reduced doses infused 24 hours a day), however, I now believe that splenic irradiation might be more survivable. Two of my beloved and trusted oncologists have been advising me from afar about this possible option. I located a German trial using splenic irradiation with leukemia patients. I did not realize all of the biological possibilities that radiation might induce. And I am talking favorable possibilities. In this study, 22-38 percent of the patients achieved remission. That might sound like poor odds to you, but they are amazing odds for an end stage leukemia patient.

I will continue to pray for God to make the path I am to pursue crystal clear. I anticipate if I decide to treat, that we will move toward treatment by September.

No comments: