Saturday, August 14, 2010

Accolades

This has been a summer of accolades and recognitions for me. I have joked that usually people begin receiving such recognitions when they are about dead or are dead. I have never been focused on worldly recognition. Rather, like the Nicole Nordeman "Legacy" lyrics states: "I want to leave an offering, a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically. And leave that kind of legacy."

Most importantly, I want to be remembered for my steadfast faith in God Above throughout a life punctuated with much pain and many problems. I want Him to be recognized and glorified through all that I do.

Some of you might recall that I was named the "Cancer Survivor of the Year" in June. Kevin and I appeared in the national Coping with Cancer magazine (July issue) in conjunction with their Survivor Day coverage.

The nonprofit I previously directed featured a tribute to me on the front page of thier newsletter last month. And the other nonprofit where I served as Program Director has named an annual award after me that will recognize outstanding servants of the ministry.

Lastly, I submitted some of my photos to the new cancer center. They wanted to use patient photography as art in the new center. Three of my photographs were selected. The private room where I receive all of my treatments is the "Stacie Room" with my photograph on the wall and Stacie usually residing in the chemo chair!

I am thankful for the gifts and talents that God alone has given to me. I would be nothing apart from Him.

"Legacy" lyrics:

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love?
Did I point to You enough To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy
Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

1 comment:

Shari said...

Just checking on you this morning and catching up with your blog. You are always in my prayers, Stacie. Your posts brought tears to my eyes this morning. I love all of the lyrics you've shared lately. If I may add one more little accolade...

You continue to be such an inspiration to me. You and your legacy will live in my heart forever...until we meet in heaven.