Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wisdom from the Book of Philippians 1

I have been studying the book of Acts and some of the letters written by the Apostle Paul. I just marvel at his wisdom in words. I wanted to share some of my favorite verses from the book of Philippians and I pray that they speak to your spirits as they have spoken to mine. May each of us be challenged and encouraged as we meditate on these words. Each day this week, may we challenge ourselves to take one of these verses and strive to live it out fully in our own lives. If you are challenged or changed by one of these verses, post your praises to God on this post! All glory be to Him.

"And this is my prayer: That your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ — to the glory and praise of God (Philippians 1:9-11)."

Discerning what is best - don't we each desire that? I want to discern the best treatment for myself. I want my children to discern the best plans God has for their lives. I want leaders of our country to discern the best course of action for our nation. We cannot exhibit such discernment without the love and righteousness of Christ in our lives. May we open the doors of our heart each day and ask Him to reign and rule over our lives.

"...for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance (Philippians 1:19)."

Knowing with this type of certainty that God is in control of our lives and that by living our lives in obedience to Him and His Word that all things are going to work for our good, is such a guarantee of peace. I am certain that no matter what mayhem leukemia causes in my life, that I will one day be delivered from its destruction. May each of us engage the resources of prayer and guidance of the Holy Spirit (through prayer and God's Holy Word) to foster this type of confidence in our futures.

"I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body (Philippians 1:20-24)."

Don't Paul's words and reflections resound in your spirit? They speak loudly to me. I recall early on after my leukemia diagnosis, that I was concerned that my faith would be shaken and that Christ would not be exalted in my life. This was and continues to be a personal prayer of mine. Never, do I want a life challenge to shake my faith foundations. The Scripture in verse 21: "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" is one that I have requested be engraved on my grave marker. He has certainly kept me alive and life would not have been mine without all of the acts of healing and mercy that He has extended to me. However, to die will certainly be gain for each of us who have believed in the Lord Jesus Christ for forgiveness of our sins and salvation of our souls. Even Paul wavered and pondered about which to choose - he was "torn between the two". If today is a day of challenge for you, refocus your thought life and energies on the Word of God. Don't be distracted or side-tracked by today's trials and tribulations. Eternal life awaits the children of the Most High God - "to die is gain".

"Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ" (Philippians 1: 27).

So few words with such immense instruction. Imagine if each of us could master this statement: WHATEVER HAPPENS, CONDUCT YOURSELVES IN A MANNER WORTHY OF THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST."

WHATEVER HAPPENS.

WHATEVER HAPPENS.

Whatever could include being told you are dying; that you have lost your job or all of your finances; that you have been betrayed by family or friends; that your heart has been ripped into a billion tiny pieces; that your loved one just died; that your child has turned his back on his faith; that depression has stolen your joy - WHATEVER HAPPENS. May each of us conduct ourselves in ways that are pleasing to our Father when we are rejoicing on life's mountaintops and when we are sobbing in the valleys of our lives. Whatever happens ........





No comments: