Friday, July 2, 2010

House Call

















As I had mentioned, my trusted NIH/NCI (National Institutes of Health/National Cancer Institute) physician, Dr. M. drove over 700 miles this week to visit us – what a house call! I have been so blessed with physicians who are compassionate, brilliant caregivers.
To be able to sit and chat with him about new research, new protocols, reflections on current treatment, and other breaking news from the leukemia experts was a blessing as was just spending time with a man who has meant so much to my longevity with leukemia. He has cared for me over a decade and this week marked his retirement although his lengthy leukemia-driven plans did not sound like someone who had retired! He will be speaking at CLL symposiums in Italy and Spain later this year.

Dr. M. has consulted extensively through these years with my local family physician. Ironically, both of them were born and raised in Iowa and she came to our home last night to meet Dr. M. and to visit with him. Kevin took this photo last night of me with these two beloved doctors. Dr. M. departed this morning. I pray that our paths will meet again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a spectaculer moment! Words cannot describe how moving this is. Such a gift!

Tina