Sunday, January 9, 2011

Lag in Blog Updates: Please Pray

My apologies for the long delay with my updates. It has been a brutal start to 2011. I don’t even know if I can recall everything I need to share. I thank Tina for sending out a brief request for prayer this week when I was admitted to ICU.

On December 30th, I had a planning CT for my radiation – supposedly just of the abdomen but I suddenly learned on Monday, January 3rd that a pelvic CT had been done and numerous concerns were discovered. A large mass and a smaller one were discovered in my uterus. And two cysts were on my ovaries. The CT report and my oncologist told me I needed immediate gynecologic review to rule out additional cancers. I had been struggling with abnormal bleeding and it had worsened before the end of the year.

My blood counts were marginal on Monday, but the radiation oncologist proceeded with radiation. I also received my IVIG treatment on Monday.

On Tuesday, I saw my family doctor who examined me and was very concerned. Fortunately, the cardiac concerns seem to be checking out as a repeat EKG was “perfect”. Thank, God, for that good news. My hemoglobin was treading downward and weakness was increasing.

On Wednesday, I went for two pelvic ultrasounds. Good news emerged with those – the large mass was a mass of blood clots and the ovarian cysts appeared benign. Later that day, an ovarian cancer marker test returned as negative. Great news and praise for those concerns not to be cancerous but the amount of blood loss was escalating and I knew I was getting in danger.

My theory for these problems is that the radiation has damaged my left ovary (since it is within the radiation field). The ovaries produce estrogen and estrogen helps to regulate cycles. Also, some estrogen is produced in the kidneys and they have been irradiating my left kidney also, which lies behind my spleen. Thus, the massive blood loss has the potential to be radiation related. If this theory is proven true, the continuation of my radiation treatments will hang in the balance.

By Thursday, I was much worse. Our oldest daughter came to stay with me during the day and by afternoon; I was using oxygen and could barely walk from chair to chair. She took me to the doctor late in the day and as soon as the nurse saw me, she ran for the doctor. My pulse was 140, my lips and nail beds were colorless and she said that I had no choice but to be admitted to ICU. When we arrive at the hospital, my hemoglobin was down to 6.3 and since active blood loss was occurring, the doctor said the realistic hemoglobin value was in the range of 5. During 14 years of leukemia and chemotherapy (which always affects hemoglobin levels), I had never reached that dangerous level.

Obtaining units of blood for me is a challenge. Since I receive the IVIG blood-based infusions every month, typing blood for transfusions becomes more complicated. Also, all blood that I receive must be irradiated, leuko-depleted, washed and CMV negative. The blood could not be located locally and was finally located in Indianapolis and a driver brought it to us. The first of four transfusions began late Thursday night. As predicted, the hemoglobin level was in the 5 range because even after the first transfusion, the hemoglobin level did not budge from the 6.3 reading from Thursday afternoon. I began running fevers so antibiotic were added to protect me.

On Friday, I received two additional blood transfusions. I have had past serious blood transfusion reactions, but thankfully, the first three transfusions were flawless. We used plenty of premedications and very slow infusion rates. The blood loss continued to be so significant that we could not keep up with it even with transfusions. Another consultation was made and the medical team decided despite the risks of dangerous blood clots from IV estrogen, that we had no other choice. Normally, six IV doses are given for these situations but the doctors decided to try only two since I have had a blood clot in my lung before (PE). Almost instantly after the second IV, the blood loss stopped. I was so relieved but by Saturday, the blood loss resumed, hemoglobin levels remained low and I remained in ICU and on oxygen. A fourth blood transfusion was ordered and more blood was located in Indianapolis for me. Unfortunately, we decided to increase the infusion rate and it resulted in a reaction to the transfusion. I was so sick yesterday. Low dose estrogen was started, in an attempt to stop the blood loss without as great of chance of blood clots that could cause a stroke, pulmonary embolus, or heart attack.

My hemoglobin finally made it to the 8 range yesterday evening and the doctor decided to discharge me since the germy ICU environment is a risk to me. I left last night, so sick and still having so many problems to resolve. I will not able to receive radiation this week (and perhaps I will never receive anymore). I know of at least two procedures/biopsies pending for this week. If my hemoglobin continues to decline, more transfusions will be in my history.

My NIH oncologist also reminded us today that with four blood transfusions, my own clotting factors could have been altered. So some testing for this will happen this week.

And all of these new problems rest solidly on top of the mountain of other health challenges related to leukemia and infections. Please pray for my family, me and my medical team. Please pray that I will not develop blood clots from the estrogen (IV and oral). Please pray that the  search for additional malignancies will continue to reveal nothing cancerous. Please pray for the blood loss to cease and the need for transfusions will conclude. Please pray for strength and grace to stand up under the enormous strain of so many things going wrong in my body.

I am reminded of this Scripture from Romans 4:

19 And not being weak in faith, he (Abraham) did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah’s womb. 20 He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, 21 and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. 22 And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.”

Abraham and Sarah longed for a son – but they were so very old. They did not look at their situation or consider the condition of their bodies. They didn’t waver at the promise of God. They were not doubtful or unbelieving. They grew in Faith and praised God. And that promised son was the answer to their prayers.

May I be able to replicate their faith-filled actions and witness this broken, failing body,  restored and perfectly functioning. Please join me with prayers that are filled with praise, belief, and void of doubt and disbelief.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, you dont know me, but I have been following your posts all of 2010. My younger brother has CLL.
Cannot tell you how happy I was to see your post after such a lapse. Praying for you and your Family always.