Wednesday, June 16, 2010

PICC Poke: June 16, 2010

It has been another medical marathon day. I left home at 7:45 AM this morning and returned at 6:45 PM. I received my tenth IV infusion of the antifungal today. That is going apparently well, with a bit of nausea and diarrhea attributed to the drug. We are puzzled as my cough continues as does a low grade temperature despite all of these antimicrobials.

Kevin took a vacation day to assist me today. After going for my IV this morning, we drove to Indianapolis and I arrived at the hospital around 1:30 PM. The care was excellent and the PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) line insertion procedure went well. It is always difficult to consent to one procedure that has the potential to benefit me yet also has the risk to harm me. This very PICC line could cause an infection in my bloodstream. Please keep this concern as a top matter of prayer over the next two to three weeks.

Since I have experienced all of the drug and contrast dye reactions, I requested that I receive no sedation and no dye for the PICC insertion (just call me stupid, I know). I was taken into the catheter lab and 2 ultrasound technicians, a PICC technician and the radiologist were in attendance. I was placed on a table with an ultrasound device over my chest and an ultrasound wand to the side of the table.

It is at these moments, that I am so thankful that I know a Comforting Father to Whom I can cry out - the loneliness of a procedure room; the fully awake knowledge that a painful procedure is about to occur; the concerns about risks of the procedure ...... all of these thoughts flashed upon the flatscreen of my mind. Immediately, I took a deep breath and began praying. Two Scriptures I repeated over and over:

Psalm 46:10
Be still, and know that I am God........

Hebrews 13:6
So we may boldly say: “The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”


The technicians quickly located a very suitable, deep vein (the Basilic vein) in the bicep of my arm. Unfortunately, they told me that the access to the superior vena cava (the large vein that carries blood from the head, neck, arms, and chest to the heart) would be best from my right side. I say unfortunately because I am right handed dominate and I must sleep on my right side (due to my enlarged spleen on the left side) - now very difficult to accomplish with this PICC line running up my right bicep.

With the strength and peace of my Father and no sedation, they made an incision into my bicep and threaded the PICC line/catheter up that vein, through the clavicle area (shoulder blade) and down the vein into my chest to the superior vena cava. This was somewhat uncomfortable and just as the catheter threaded into my chest, my heart must have been displeased and I had some fluttering of my heart and a very strange sensation. I was about to voice my concerns when the radiologist told me that it was in place. They used ultrasound to verify placement and when I looked up to view the screens (just call me curious but I like to see and know what is going on), I could see the fine line transversing through those veins and at the top of every screen, a crystal clear image of my cross was imprinted. It was one of those nice, God-moments that I believe He allowed me to see on that ultrasound view, the PICC line with my cross pictured right above it, as a sign of His reassurance and presence in that room.

Next, the doctor told me that they would begin stitching the PICC line in place with 3-4 stitches. However, they had difficulty with stopping the bleeding. He discussed my platelet issues with me (I have low platelets from the leukemia and platelets clot blood). It took three attempts at pressure before they stopped the bleeding and were able to stitch the line in place. It was dressed (in a nice knit A-line ..... just making sure you were still reading or just scanning this update) .......... and bandaged. I will apply heat to it 3-4 times daily for the next 3 days to help prevent blood clots from forming and we will be meticulous with keeping it clean and dry. It should be ready to use in the morning for my next IV.

Labs will be checked tomorrow, so I am eager to know if improvements have occurred with those. I appreciate your continued prayers. I could sense that many were praying for me this afternoon as I received the PICC line. Thank you for your faithfulness to pray for me, help me and to encourage me.

PS - I really would be a wimp without God on my team!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My continued prayers are with you! My daughter sat and read your blog for the first time last night, and we prayed together for you!

Cherie Smith said...

Thank you God for being so close to Stacie as we prayed her through the procedure! Stacie, your strength, given by God, just amazes me! But it is God who gives us that strength! I was a little behind on reading your blog...but it was ironic that you received the cancer survivor award and then ended up in the ICU! God is by you at every step! Continuing to pray you through all of this! Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress. Praying that you will see progress each and every day...smiles from others are even progress! So here is a smile and hug from me! :) [[[HUG]]] Cherie from Christian CLL friends

Amy said...

Healing is in His Hands by Christy Nockels

Verse 1
No mountain, no valley
No gain or loss we know
Could keep us from Your love

Verse 2
No sickness, no secret
No chain is strong enough
To keep us from Your love
To keep us from Your love

Chorus
How high, how wide
No matter where I am
Healing is in Your hands
How deep, how strong
Now by Your grace I stand
Healing is in Your hands

Verse 3
Our present, our future
Our past is in Your hands
We’re covered by Your blood
We’re covered by Your blood

Bridge
In all things, we know that
We are more than conquerors
You keep us by Your love

You are a dear dear lady! May the Lord bless your socks off!

Shari said...

You amaze and inspire me. I cried as I read this. I am praying for you right now.

Father, please, no infection from this PICC line. And please continue to cover Stacie with Your love and grace. She has never needed Your healing touch more than right now. I lift Stacie, Your faithful child, up to you right now. Please give her the miracle she needs! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Bethany said...

wow Stacie...sounds like God showed up in some neat ways. He is our strength & Healer...neat to hear of how He is sustaining you as His daughter

Anonymous said...

You are the bravest! I don't know anyone, male or female who could withstand the pain you do! You are amazing and thank you for showing us what God can do. The cross on the sonogram was most definitely a powerful reminder of His presence.

Love ya,

Tina