Tuesday, June 15, 2010

2010 Cancer Survivor of the Year




















PHOTOS ABOVE:

1. First Sunday of each June is recognized as National Cancer Survivors Day.
2. Giving my second interview with local television stations after the presentation -if you know me well, you know that public speaking ranks right up there with chemotherapy for me!
3. Jan, the head oncology nurse who has cared for me for over a decade, read her tribute to me and I tearfully accepted the award from her.
4. My Cancer Survivor of the Year medal.


Since June 6th, I have been ill and in the hospital and have not remembered to post this story. On Sunday, June 6th (prior to being admitted on June 7th), I was honored by the Illinois-Indiana Oncology Nurses as their 2010 Cancer Survivor of the Year. Our family attended their celebration for National Cancer Survivors' Day (always celebrated the first Sunday of each June). Everyone knew about the award and did their best to guarantee that I would be in attendance. I was honored and humbled to be recognized with this award, as I am certain that every person who has battled this horrible disease, is worthy to be a recipient. It was a heart-warming and uplifting day that I spent with my family and members of my local oncology team. Thank you to my God, my family, doctors, nurses and staff who helped me to live this long to be named Cancer Survivor of the Year! It was a bit ironic and uncanny to realize that the Survivor of the Year went from this day of recognition to the ICU in a bit over 12 hours.

2 comments:

rsellers said...

Praying for you and your family. "For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you" Isaiah 41:13

Hope you can find rest at home and safety as you keep up with the daily travels to appointments.
Your sister in Christ and friend,
Becky Sellers

Amy said...

I Can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength. Phil 4:13

I first heard your name through a long time friend Laurie Jackson. I have been reading your blogs through MCC prayer list. Today for the very first time I seen a picture of you. I must say you look good for all you have been through and are going through. I have been able to tell for some time how strong your faith is, the Lord IS your ROCK. My husband and I keep you in our prayers. My husband can identify with what you and your husband are going through. He lost a wife in 2005 to breast cancer and watched her health slowly decline. If your husband needs someone to talk to please feel free to email me at a.cunningham07@yahoo.com and I will gladly make sure my husband Mike gets the message. I'm also on facebook. May the Lord Richly bless your day!
((((hugs))))