Monday, December 6, 2010

An Update & Request for Prayer: December 6, 2010

What a day! What a day! I arrived at the cancer center before 8 AM and I was there for over nine hours to receive my IVIG treatment today. I don't know why the infusion lasted so long - usually it "only" takes around 8 hours. Others, who have not had serious reactions to the IVIG, are able to receive it in fewer hours. However, I have reacted negatively to it in the past, so I patiently wait for it to drop, drop, drop into my veins. The treatment is cumbersome, not without risks, and very expensive ($10,000 per month), yet, my infection rate has lessened with the IVIG and my number of hospitalizations has decreased,

I saw the clock approaching 5 PM and knew the radiation center was going to close before I could arrive there for my radiation treatment. Thankfully, the kind staff waited on me and it was going on six o-clock before I finished for the day.

The gram stains from my lungs revealed that there are gram positive cocci growing out. The cough is still deep and annoying. I anticipate some form of action tomorrow - either a CT of my lungs will be ordered, an appointment with the pulmonologist, or a change to IV medications. Since my T-Cells continue to decline (due to the radiation), a serious form of pneumonia, PCP is always a suspect. I am hopeful that a bronchoscopy and/or hospitalization is not in my future. There are too many Christmas "to do's" remaining for me to end up in the slammer.

I was neutropenic again, so more Neupogen injections have been ordered. My counts were low but stable enough for radiation today. As of today, I have received 275 cGy of 600 cGy of radiation that is planned. Slow and steady win the race, right?

Please pray for the complicated concerns that daily threaten my life. I want to see improvement before Christmas! I long to feel better and stronger. Thank you for praying.

No comments: