Friday, April 23, 2010

Update & Request for Prayer: April 23, 2010

The cough continues yet my temperature continues to hold steady. Today, the fungal samples from my lungs were sent to Texas for identification and sensitivities. This is such a long, drawn out process. In the age of modern medicine, I would think someone would invent a more timely method for identifying fungi and the medications needed to treat them. It is an eerie sensation, just sitting here, knowing that dangerous fungi have been discovered in my lungs and we do not know how to treat them. It is even more agonizing to know that my immune system struggles to fight any organism, especially the dangerous fungal infections. Praying for the infections not to run rampant as I wait.

I received Neupogen last night and will go to the hospital lab over the weekend for a blood draw to recheck the neutrophil (infection fighter) count. In reviewing my notes, when I last had positive fungal lung cultures, I began a 10 day cycle of the Neupogen injections as I awaited the results. I am contemplating this possibility as one way that I could intervene somehow as this waiting game continues. It seems that the Neupogen injections will offer my body a fighting chance at arresting the fungi, as I await the results that will tell us the specific antifungal drug that will be needed to treat the infections.

Most IV antifungals require 3-4 weeks of daily IV's. Last September-October when I last received the IV antifungals, it was a nightmare trying to access my very tired veins daily. We speculated at that time, if another lengthy course of IV therapy was required, that I would have to consider the placement of a PICC line (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter). This catheter would be inserted into a deep vein that would lead to a vein near my heart. It would have the benefits of my not having to be stuck daily in search of an IV site. After being desensitized to a medication at the hospital or oncology center, I would then be able to administer my IV's at home to myself. This saves time and energy making daily trips to the infusion center, however, a PICC line will not be without risks - especially with someone as immune compromised as I am. The threat of an infection in my blood stream will exist and is of great concern. Please pray that I will know with certainty if I should have this procedure to insert a PICC line and that I will locate the exact physician and location that will provide extreme details to its insertion.

I will begin using the pain patches this weekend that the pain management doctor prescribed yesterday. Hoping that they will be helpful and allow me to sleep for longer periods of time.

An interesting, inspiring experience I had today - in the mail I received a package from Japan. I had read a Japanese study on immune system deficiencies. I had e-mailed the author of the paper - the leading immunologist in all of Japan - he graciously responded to my e-mail and offered to mail me a copy of his book that focuses on rebuilding the immune system. True to his word, my book was delivered today (with beautiful Japanese postage stamps). The Internet has opened so many doors for me with medical professionals from all around the world. Truly, one of the positive uses of the Internet. Thank you, Dr. Abo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are I believe, the most amazing woman I have ever encountered. You put the energizer bunny to shame as you keep going toward a solution. I believe there is a reason for your continued encounter with all of this information...our God is bigger than anything, anything on this earth! I believe you are doing His work and that it is important and unbelievably valuable work; I feel this as I read your messages.

Please know that you are loved, Linda